Friday 24 July 2009

Keeping up Appearances

They say that the first impression counts. True, the first 5 seconds of any interaction is where someone can decide which kind of person you are, just based on your looks.

So, it's incredibly important to get this area of your game handled before you go out there into the field.

I'd like to think that most guys have a good understanding of this area, but I see many guys abusing all the basics of proper dress and appearance when out and about. Shocking.

So, without further ado, here's a check list collected from various sources:

  • keep nails short, clean and neat. If I was a girl, this would be a big thing for me, I cringe at the sight of guys in Hong Kong with abnormally long finger nails. What the? Guys, get them trimmed.
  • All other hair apart from on top of your head should be trimmed, removed, there should be no hair growing out of ears or your nose guys.
  • Fix any wrong teeth, keep them white and clean. Another huge problem in Hong Kong for many guys and girls come to mention it.
  • When showering, make sure you're washing three times.
  • Use deodorant/cologne, not too much mind you. Just enough so that when someone is in your radius they can catch a whiff. My technique is a spray on the each wrist (don't rub them together), one on either side of the neck (don't pat it in) and sometimes behind the ears, but I was commented on by some folk that it was too over powering if I did 6. So I just keep it to 4 now.
  • Your voice should be deep and resonant in your chest.
  • Your body language; walk upright, hold head up, shoulders back, slow down movements, slower calculated gestures. Try to look as if you're looking at the horizon level.
  • If someone tries to get your attention, don't immediately move to them, instead slowly turn your head to hear what they have to say.
  • Keep eye contact, don't look away till they do, certainly don't break eye contact and look down.
  • Don't sit with arms or legs crossed.
  • Occupy space.
  • Lean back, not forward.
  • A mantra to say to yourself as you strut the streets. I am relaxed. I am Sexual. I am in control.
  • When talking, don't go off at 100mph, instead learn to take pauses when talking to create suspense and tension.
  • Don't fidget.
  • Don't tighten facial muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment